Are you constantly confused between you’re and your? Do you always struggle to put the comma in the right place? Does the historical confusion of using a period before or after the inverted comma plague you? Well, you’ve come to the right post. Good grammar is akin to your personality. It reflects the image of your brand to your readers. Today, I am going to give you a hands-on tutorial to use the tools for checking grammar. Let’s dive in.
“A man’s grammar, like Caesar’s wife, should not only be pure,Edgar Allan Poe
but above suspicion of impurity.”
In this post, I’m going to review ‘Grammarly‘ – the popular grammar checker app fo you. Here’s what you are going to learn:
How to use the tools for checking grammar using Grammarly?
- What is Grammarly?
- Why do you need to use Grammarly?
- How to use Grammarly?
- Features and Tools
- How to use Grammarly to write perfect blog posts?
- How to install the Grammarly browser add-on and desktop app?
- Grammarly keyboard
- What do you do with the free version vs premium version?
Before we begin, download the free ‘Blog Writing Checklist‘ and start writing perfect blog posts.
What is Grammarly?
Before I tell you what is Grammarly let me tell you what Grammarly is not.
Grammarly is not:
- Not a magic tool to transform your writing into a bestselling piece
- Not a tool that will write itself (you still need to write my friend)
- Not a translation tool
- Not a keyword tool
- A smart AI-based grammar checker
- A tool to automatically detect, suggest, and correct spelling, grammar, and punctuation
- A smart writing tool to detect the tone of your content (and improve it)
- A writing assistant that works with you as you write
- A tool that remembers your common mistakes and keeps an eye on them
- A power partner that suggests better synonyms when you can’t find the right words
- A plagiarism checker
- A punctuation checker
- A grammar checker software
- An online grammar checking tool
- And much more
Grammarly is an online grammar checking tool that takes all the guesswork out of writing. Gone are the days when you needed to browse through dictionaries and English grammar checking websites or read through thousands of words in writing forums. With Grammarly, you can automate checking your spelling, grammar, and punctuation.
Grammarly makes writing error-free and grammatically perfect. If you are a blogger, writer, author, copywriter, content writer, copyeditor, student or a marketing professional, Grammarly is for you.
With Grammarly, you can focus on writing and content creation while the grammar checker tool takes care of grammar mistakes, spelling mistakes, punctuation, writing style, sentence structure, plagiarism, and proofreading. Whoa! That is like having your own language butler with you.
Why do you need to use Grammarly?
The biggest reason to use any writing or language tool should be efficiency. If it allows you to improve your efficiency, always go for it. Grammarly saves you time. As a writer, time is money. The more time you save, the more time you can invest in writing fresh content.
Hundreds and thousands of blog posts are published every day. If you spend weeks writing just one piece of content, you will be left behind.
As a writer, time is money. The more time you save, the more timeDev from Mukarrar Blog
you can invest in writing fresh content.
How many times have you read a piece of content with spelling mistakes or grammatical errors? Isn’t it cringeworthy? And what is your first reaction when you spot a spelling mistake? It turns you off, right? Imagine such a glaring error in something that you write. No, writers cannot afford to have mistakes. It is the surest way to rejection and failures.
There are many stories of glaring grammatical errors mistakenly printed in newspapers, books, ads and whatnot. Read more about the most famous spelling mistakes here on Bookbub (its fun, check it out). I picked the above example from this excellent website. Of course, as a writer or blogger, you do not want to end up in the same situation.
Here are seven key reasons why you should use Grammarly as your preferred language tool:
- Freemium: Grammarly comes with a freemium model. Most of the tools included in the free version are enough for you (after all, you’ll save dollars on hiring an editor).
- Avoid spelling mistakes: it doesn’t matter if you are writing a 1000-word blog post or an 80000 words novel, one single mistake can cost you dearly.
- Avoid plagiarism: Sometimes, unknowingly, we write something that is a copy of a piece of content that we have read. It counts as plagiarism and can negatively impact your SEO.
- No more grammatical errors: Stop fretting over where to put the comma or where to put the apostrophe, let the online grammar checker do it for you.
- Get the right tone: Grammarly allows you to set the tone of your content before you begin writing and keeps suggesting as you write. Impressive, eh!
- Writing score: As you finish writing, Grammarly suggests you a writing score, the higher, the better.
- Save tons of time: Yes, the online grammar checker saves you a lot of time editing your writing. You may as well use this time to create fresh content.
How to use Grammarly?
If you are a blogger or writer who loves to spend more time creating than editing, Grammarly is perfect for you. I hate spending hours vetting my content and still wondering if there is some writing mistake I left unchecked.
You can use Grammarly anywhere. Use it to check your blogs, to proofread your novel drafts, to edit your school essay or to vet your email. No written document permits spelling mistakes or grammatical mistakes.
Here’s how to use Grammarly to proofread and edit your documents without spending tons of time:
The first things you need to do before you start writing is setting your goals. Grammarly allows you to select from a host of options to decide what kind of content you want to write. Here’s how the goals selection looks like:
Audience: You can set the type of audience who will read your work. E.g., if you are writing a whitepaper meant for aeronautical engineers, it would be wise to set the audience to ‘Expert’. For writing a blog post like this, I would choose ‘General’ because my content is targeted towards anyone who wants to write better and not necessarily an expert.
Formality: As a language tool, this grammar checker allows you to set the tone of your content. Again, for aeronautical engineers from the above example, I would choose a ‘Formal’ style. Similarly, for my blog post, I would opt for ‘Informal’ because that is my writing voice for Mukarrar. (I hope you like it too 🙂
Domain: After setting up your audience type and the voice of your content, you can choose the field of your target audience. Continuing from the above example, I would choose ‘Technical’ for writing the whitepaper and ‘General’ for writing a blog post. Try experimenting with different writing styles if you are not sure about the domain.
Tone: Don’t get confused between ‘Formality’ and ‘Tone’. Formality is the writing style of your content, and tone is your writing voice. E.g., I can sound confident and write formal or sound analytical and write informally. It depends upon the subject of your content and your familiarity with the audience.
Bonus Tip: As you continue to write, the grammar checker will simultaneously proofread the content and suggest if you are meeting your goals or not. The best part is that the writing tool will also suggest what you need to change precisely and where. Bingo! That’s how you get rid of grammar mistakes without spending extra hours or paying to hire an editor.
Intent: Your writing intent is crucial. Why? Because it determines what do you want to achieve with the content you are creating. When setting your writing goals, you can choose if you’re going to inform, describe, convince or tell a story.
Features and Tools
The grammar checker tool comes packed with handy features to help you write better. Here are some of the key things you can do using this language tool:
- Text Editor: Grammarly, like Microsoft Word or Pages for Mac, comes with built-in text formatting tools. You can use H1, H2 tags, make basic formatting and use the text editor to write your content. You can also import your existing content document.
- Text Counts: This is a pretty handy feature. Grammarly tells you the total word count, the overall reading time and the total speaking time for your content. It is useful when you are doing how-to guides and need to mention the total time.
- Writing Score: Once you finish writing, the online grammar checker generates. Click on the score, and you will see a detailed report of your content performance.
- Alerts: Get spelling, grammatical, and punctuation alerts as you write
- Plagiarism Checker: The grammar checker software checks for plagiarism in real-time and alerts you if your content matches something else on the web (neat, eh).
How to use Grammarly to write perfect blog posts?
Blogging has evolved. With so much competition in the blogosphere, you need two things to stand out especially as a newbie blogger/writer:
- In-depth, informative, value-drive, and well-written content
- More content (consider long-form blog posts, social media posts, YouTube descriptions, guest posts, content for videos, images, infographics, slideshows etc)
There are 2 different ways that you can use Grammarly to write great blog posts:
Download the free ‘Blog Writing Checklist‘ and start writing perfect blog posts.
- Browser add-on: Install the Grammarly Chrome extension, sign-in and voila, the tool will appear in the familiar WordPress editor. Now, you can edit as you write saving hours of proofing later—more on how to install this later.
- Grammarly App: Download the Grammarly app and start writing your blog post directly in the text editor. Once you are done writing the content, just copy and paste it in WordPress editor-more on how to use the app later.
How to install the Grammarly for free – Chrome extension and desktop app?
If there is one feature of the online grammar checker, Grammarly, that you’ll love is the browser add-on. With the browser add-on, you can use Grammarly everywhere you can write. It includes social media, emails, WordPress, Microsoft Word (needs additional add-on), Pages for Mac, OneNote etc.
Installation is free and simple. Just use the following steps:
- Visit Grammarly
- Click on Downloads in the left panel
- You’ll see a screen a like this
- Click on download (as you can see, I have all three apps downloaded)
- Follow the instructions
- All the tools are free to use and come with a premium subscription if you need access to full features (in my opinion, you can do well with the free version especially when you are starting)
- Alternatively, you can also visit the Chrome Webstore and directly install the Grammarly browser add-on
- Sign-up for free and bingo, start using the free grammar checker tool right away
Grammarly Keyboard App
Here’s a detailed review of the Grammarly keyboard app I did in my post covering tools for content writers. Skip to number 13 to find the tool.
You can download the app from the App Store and the Play Store free of charge. Just login with your credentials and start using the grammar checker language tool on your mobile devices.
What do you get with the Grammarly free version vs Premium version?
I strongly recommend starting with the free version and getting familiar with the language tool. If you find value in it, if it saves you time (of course, it will), then go ahead and get the full version.
Here’s a quick comparison between the free and premium version of the grammar checking tool:
There is so much more to write about this amazing grammar checking software. But all the points I have covered above will give you a fair idea about the benefits of using a grammar editor app. Here’s a summary of why you should choose to work with Grammarly:
- Save time on editing
- Save money on hiring an editor
- Avoid spelling mistakes
- Avoid passive voice
- Avoid chances of plagiarism
- Make your content free of grammar mistakes
- Improve your writing style
- Avoid punctuation mistakes
- Improve sentence structure
- Free editing tool
- Free proofreading for your blog or essay or story
- Easy to use Chrome extension
- Available as grammar checker software for Windows and Mac
- Integration with MS Word and MS Outlook
- No spelling errors in emails
- The free version is enough to check English grammar mistakes
If you liked this post, please don’t forget to leave a comment. Your feedback helps me improve and add value to the posts so that you can write better. It would make me super happy if you will share this post with your friends on Facebook and Twitter. Bloggers love it, trust me. 🙂